On a bend in the meandering Kwethluk River, not far off the Bering Sea, five abandoned buildings rise above the alders.
The Moravian Children's Home opened in 1926, three miles upriver from the village of Kwethluk, Alaska. Moravian missionaries founded the facility in an effort to provide care and education for children, most of whom were Alaska native and orphaned by epidemics which ravaged area villages.
The facility was closed hastily due to a tuberculosis outbreak among the residents.
Many of the children who lived at the orphanage are now elders living in communities throughout the Yukon-Kuskokwim Delta.
Nunapitsinghak is the Yup'ik name of the original property on which the home was built, it means "great, little land".